Sunday, February 10, 2013

Week 1

Monday - 3 mile run
Tuesday - 30 minutes on stationary bike
Wednesday - Pure Cardio (Insanity)
Thursday - 3 mile run
Friday - Plyometric Cardio Circuit (Insanity)
Saturday - 5.2 mile run
Sunday - Cardio Abs (Insanity)

Total miles: 11

Monday was my first run of 2013, my first run since the half marathon and my first run since I finished Insanity.  I also got to try out some new gear!  It was my inaugural run using my Brooks Ghost 5 shoes and I love them!  I can't believe I didn't upgrade to some higher end shoes two years ago.  I'm hoping that wearing the appropriate shoes will help alleviate some of the knee problems I've had in the past during long runs.  I also used my 4th gen iPod Shuffle for the first time.  I'm not a fan.  It was very frustrating figuring out how to make a playlist with (the horrible) iTunes 11 that included podcasts and music.  I figured it out but the process was much easier with my first gen Shuffle and out of date iTunes software.  I also think the 4th gen might be too small.  I had difficulty clipping it to my collar without hitting "next".  Hopefully I'll get used to it.  I think I will get a new GPS watch soon.  My Garmin Forerunner 305 is just too damn big and hasn't been syncing right with my computer.  I might downgrade since I am using my Polar 4 heart rate monitor instead of the one built in to the Garmin.  All I really need is my calories burned and distance.  Keep it simple!

I was only planning on doing a 4 mile run for my first "long run" but I felt good so I decided to go further.  I was being a little cautious when planning the runs because I had no idea how far I'd be able to go since I haven't run in over 2 months.  The first run was a little worrisome because my calf muscles were pretty tight and I had a bitch of a side stitch but my second run was easy and the long run felt like I hadn't taken any time off.

Doing Insanity every other day definitely makes it more bearable.  We'll see how next week goes when I work in a MAX workout.

Speaking of next week, my brother is going to be visiting so I'm not sure if I'll be able to stick with my schedule for all the days.  It is possible I will be nursing a hangover instead of working out at least one of the days...

All in all, it was a great first week!

No comments:

Post a Comment